Yesterday after church, Hawk and I were busy making pudding. He has become quite the little helper in the kitchen lately. Anyway, he says to me, "mom, what's a babe?" For a moment I am stunned. I am thinking, what is his dad teaching him when I am not around! So I ask, "where did you hear that word?" "In a song at church," he says.
Oh, okay. So I say, "a babe is a baby."
"I don't think so," he says.
Our conversation ended there because we got busy licking the bowl from our pudding. Later that night I attended a church meeting where I sat next to Hawkins primary teacher. I was telling her about our talk about babes, and she confirmed that indeed they had been singing a song about "a new born babe". So, when I get home from my meeting I tell Hawkins that I had talked to his teacher and that the "babe" he heard in the primary song means a baby. He says to me, "well, it doesn't mean that any more!"
"Okay," I say, "so what is a babe?"
"A person you marry," he announces.
I immediately burst into laughter, and look over at Scott who is a few feet away listening to the conversation. He had the biggest "that's my boy grin" on his face I had ever seen!
A little later that night I ask Hawkins, "so, are you a babe?"
"No!"
"Am I a babe?"

7 comments:
Oh that is sooooo hilarious! That young man is so smart!! He has been saying some pretty funny stuff lately (like the "your low on temperature") He is one funny little BABE! ha ha
that is hilarious. what a funny and smart kid!!!
Gotta love it!
HAHA! I love these stories! I always tell Jeff about the ones I see on your guys' facebook statuses - like the one where hawkins said scotlyn needs to go on the biggest loser and the one LaVerne mentioned! Love them all - you have some pretty cute kids - BABE! lol
I absolutely love that story... Cute Hawk!
I love the things my kids say. Make sure you remember them. I need to write a book just baste on the funny things my kids say.
TOOOO CUTE!!! :) Such a sweet little guy... Love you all!!! :)
Post a Comment