Saturday, May 16, 2009

He's no snake charmer


I thought you all should meet the "very colorful and seemingly unassuming" poisonous Coral snake that charmed my husband into picking it up when he came across it one day working out in the desert. Notice the quotations, because this is how hubby described the snake. Why, you ask , would he pick up a poisonous snake? 1. He is a boy, and this is what boys do. They play with gross things, get dirty, and make risky decisions! 2. It turns out he had no clue it was poisonous! It was only after he showed me the picture of him holding the snake, and me with my vast knowledge of Arizona wildlife said, "Ain't that there one o' dem poisonous snakes?" Alright, I probably didn't say it like that, but I am the one who brought it to his attention. So, he decided to research it on the net, and sure enough, it was a poisonous Coral snake. So, here is the rule, because the Coral snake can often be confused for the non-poisonous King snake.

IF RED TOUCHES BLACK, IT'S YOUR FRIEND JACK,
IF RED TOUCHES YELLOW, YOU'RE A DEAD FELLOW!

My personal rule is, if it's a snake, run like hell!!!

9 comments:

Jenn said...

ROFL! So your new training method for running should be to have a snake placed about every tenth a mil to keep you running!

Jill and Scott said...

Jenn,
That's a great idea! Even better would be to tie a 5 ft rope to my ankle and attach a snake to the other end! That will keep me running!

Heather said...

oh my word. tell scott to leave the wildlife alone! i like your rule- run like hell sounds great to me.

ChrisandTamara said...

Yikes! Definitely run.

Curtis and Deedra said...

Just leave all snakes alone Scott. We want u around for awhile!

Vernie and Tony said...

Boys will be boys! I'm with Deedra, WE WANT HIM AROUND FOR QUITE SOMETIME SO FOR HEAVENS SAKE SCOTT, QUIT PICKING UP SNAKES!!

Stillman and Michelle said...

I was just telling Stillman how when I was a little girl I jumped over one of these snakes. We were playing hide and go seek when I came across the hideous thing. I jumped so far I landed and clung to a fence that also had an electric fence attached. (how I survived my childhood, I don't know). The adults taught me that rhyme. But the other day I couldn't remember which way it went. so Thanks for the clarification.

CPTA said...

Yenno? Chris was wonderin' why he'd pick up a snake too!!! haha.. I hope that's the last time...

Jer and Lish said...

I'm with you- run like hell! I still can't believe that Scott had no idea.