So, as you saw on my previous post, I got the Deceptively Delicious cookbook for Mother's Day! The book is written by Jerry Seinfeld's wife Jessica, and a panel of experts. It has great recipes for families with kids who won't eat their fruits and vegetables. That totally applies to us! The trick is, and here is where the sneakiness comes in, you puree the fruits and veggies and stick them in the food, and they never know the difference!
Monday, Scott and I went to the store to stock up on veggies to puree! It didn't take very long (though if I had a better blender or food processor it would have gone even quicker)!
I had already planned to make Hawaiian Haystacks for dinner that night, so I decided to throw in about 3/4 cup of pureed cauliflower into the chicken gravy mix. The kids had no idea! They ate it all up! You couldn't taste anything different. There are a ton of great healthy recipes in the book that I am super excited to try. Claire is great about eating raw fruits and veggies, but never gets enough protein. Tonight I am going to make chicken quesadillas. You can puree the chicken and beans, and it also has butternut squash. I'll let you know how it goes!
That boy is loving that cauliflower and he doesn't even know it! Muuaaahhahahah!


6 comments:
very cool. i got that cookbook for christmas but haven't tried it yet - well, at least none of the main recipes. i have pureed some carrots and apples and fed those to rowan. looking forward to trying some things when he is older and telling me he doesn't want broccoli.:0) happy cooking and deception!
I've heard of doing that. Great that someone made a recipe book on how to do that. Happy sneaking in those veggies fun! Luckily I haven't had to resort to that. For a little while Katie wouldn't eat any veggies (even though of course she loved them when it was baby food). But she has been gradually allowing veggies back into her diet and she will eat tomatoes, potatoes, broccoli, carrots and the inside of green beans (she digs out the seeds from the middle and eats them - don't know how she ever thought of doing that - funny).
If you don't want to puree your own veggies you can use baby food that is already pureed to a smooth consistency. If you look at the ingredients on the bottles it is just veggies/fruit and water. Keep posting these recipe ideas because I have very picky eaters.
That's awesome! And a very good idea. I might have to try it.
A mother does what she has to do! That's why your such a good mommy!
Keep on decieving those chitlins!
Haaaaaa haaaa
love this idea! thank you for the thoughts...i need that recipe book!
Post a Comment