Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Rack 'em, Stack 'em, Squish 'em, & Smoosh 'em


It's breast cancer awareness month.  I hope all you ladies out there are taking care of your "girls"!  If you are 35 or older you should have a mammogram done every year.  If you are like me, with a history of breast cancer in your family, you should talk to your dr. about starting sooner.  I started at age 30.  I hear about women being diagnosed younger, and younger.  It is really scary!  My sister was diagnosed at age 35.  She just went in for her first ever mammogram and there it was.  I am so glad she didn't put it off!  My mothers two sisters were also breast cancer survivors. And my wonderful 98 year old grandmother was diagnosed a couple of years ago, and it reappeared this year.  Not only can you not be too young...  I'll leave it at that since I would never call my grandma old!  Make sure to do your self exams as well.   Or at the risk of sounding inappropriate, enlist the help of your hubby.  Heck, just tell them it's foreplay!  LOL!  Okay, this is serious though.  I hope you all know what a serious disease this is.  Make your appointment today if you haven't been seen yet this year.  Be healthy and PERKY!

10 comments:

ChrisandTamara said...

That is a hilarious title - I thought I was going to see pictures of your kids smashing pumkpins or something. He he. Wow - your sister was only 35 whend diagnosied - that's scary. Glad she's doing well now. So they are saying now to start mammograms at at 35 now? I thought it was 40. Was your sisters something that could have been found with self-examinations or only the mammogram would have found it? Just wondering.

Heather said...

I know I have 9 years before I am 35 but I am glad I'll have you around to remind me! Like the new blog look- you are getting good girl!

Vernie and Tony said...

Yes, I'm a procrastinator and especially when it come to checking the "girls". Anything medical and I put it off way too long. I'll have to get an appointment made asap! Thanks for the reminder.

Jill and Scott said...

My sisters cancer would not have been detected with a self exam. However, I do know a few women who have found it through self examination, including my grandmother! Right now, I have to rely on self examination because I am still nursing and they can't do a mammogram while your nursing. Could you imagine the mess!

Unknown said...

Way to get your point across with a laugh! Very cute :-) (I like them being healthy - not sure they'll ever be perky, though! ;-)

Jill and Scott said...

Honey, I'd love to help you with the check ups but you are going to have to keep doing them by yourself for the time being. Hope all is well. I love you! Scott

Heather said...

I emailed you instructions on how to add a new list like the one I have- also, Jon is working on a new post- I told him you were Jonesin' for one :0)

CPTA said...

Very good! I mean the way you put yhat out! I check the girls every month. hmmm... I like what Scott wrote.. haha!

Unknown said...

LOL Scott!!! :-) What a helpful hubby! ;-)

Jenn said...

You go girl! Never ignore something different with the girls. 90% of the time it is nothing to worry about - a cyst etc. In my case, it probably would have been another 6 months before we could really feel the tumor since it wasn't a "lump". Never let a doc tell you that you are too young! No one knows your body better than you - although hubbys run a close second!

Spread the word!